An old woman walked into a clothes shop. She asked the salesgirl to let her have a look at a new dress, but the girl stood still behind the counter(柜台), taking no notice of the request. The old woman spoke to the girl again, raising her voice a bit, but still received no answer. The old woman looked at the girl and nodded to herself, “I am too old to see well. I can’t even tell a plastic model from a real girl!”On hearing this, the salesgirl shouted to the old woman, “What? Did you call me a plastic model?” The old woman was greatly surprised. “Oh, dear me,” she said. “The model can speak!”
1. What did the old woman go to the shop to do?
A. To choose a dress. B. To buy a dress for herself.
C. To show off her dress. D. To pick a quarrel with the salesgirl.
2. The salesgirl did not make a reply ________.
A. because she didn’t see the old woman
B. because she didn’t think the old woman had enough money for a new dress
C. because she was too busy to notice the old woman
D. for some reason unknown in this story
3. It was not until that woman spoke for the _______ time that the salesgirl said something.
A. first B. second
C. third D. fourth
4. When the old woman said, “I am too old to see well,” she _______.
A. meant to say that she really had poor eyesightB. wanted the salesgirl to excuse her
C. was simply telling a lieD. was, in face, trying to make the salesgirl open her mouth
5. What do you think the salesgirl would do on hearing this? She would ______.
A. be too angry to say a word for a momentB. run and tell the shop-owner about it
C. apologize to the old woman and do what she had been asked to doD. turn back and cry
1. A。事实细节题。从She asked the salesgirl to let her have a look at a new dress可知答案A正确。
3. C。事实细节题。前两次老妇人要求看衣服都未被理睬, 当她第三次开口说原来是个塑料模特时服务小姐才开口，故答案选C。
4. D。推理判断题。从 老夫人的语气“Oh, dear me,” she said, “The model can speak” 可知她有意想让售货员小姐开口，即答案选D。
5. A。推理判断题。当售货员小姐听老夫人说她是塑料模特时，听了之后她肯定会很生气，便开口说话，这是意想之中的;B项明显对服务小姐不利;C项从她的话 “What? Did you call me a plastic model?”可知她不会向老妇人道歉;D项程度太深, 不至于。故答案选A。